Wednesday, July 17, 2013

DC Week 23!

Yeesh, what a week.

Don't worry everyone; we reached triple digits the last few days with high percentages of humidity all throughout! Man it literally feels good to be alive. On top of that, our mission has collectively decided we would have a "car-fast". So yesterday and the day before, we didn't use our cars. They wanted us to realize how lucky we are, as well as open new opportunities to talk to people on the streets. So since we didn't have bikes, Sister Bowman, and Tembo and I hit the hot sticky pavement. New appreciation for modern conveniences: CHECK. It really was one of those "character-building" experiences. And while we weren't trekking through the thick jungles of Panama, my secret dream to have a similar experience was fulfilled (sort of--in a less exotic way). At least the number of mosquito bites on my arms and legs would have made anyone who took a glance at my pathetic appearance seem so. It felt SO great! I love being a missionary!!

Anyway, lately, we have been teaching this young Hispanic girl named Karla. She is fifteen years old, and so awesome! She reminds me of Caty a little bit...We meet with her twice a week, and the goal is to have an August baptism. Oh she is on fire. Every time we visit her she has her Book of Mormon ready with sticky-notes all over the place. Last time we saw her, she confided (through tears) to us that this is the first time she feels like she'd doing something for herself. Not for her mom or her sisters, but all because she wants to learn more about how she can come closer to Christ. 

We're not quite sure what we have done to deserve such prepared individuals, but Heavenly Father has been blessing us with a number of His children lately. I just hope I don't mess up. I really want to "act well my part". Often times, I feel like He gives blessings to us so freely, and we miss all of the miracles that got us there in the first place. We earn every blessing we receive in some form or another. For me, the harder the work, the more I enjoy it, (like after a good run). I think probably because I learn to appreciate the fruits of that labor. It confirms to me why I'm out here in the first place. If missionary work were easy, my motives might be different. And I shudder at the thought. 

Jeffrey R. Holland put it this way:

"Anyone who does any kind of missionary work will have occasion to ask: 'Why is this so hard? Why can't our success be more rapid? Why aren't there more people joining the church? Why isn't the only risk in missionary work that of pneumonia from being soaking wet all day and all night in the baptismal font?' I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because Salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are the Church of Jesus Christ. This is the truth. And He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us, when it was never, ever easy for Him?" 

Family, I know that we have a Savior who has given everything for us. Follow in His footsteps. Little kids, think to yourself, "What would Jesus do?" It's a very real and applicable question to all of us. My commitment to you all this week, is to do something hard. And then see what comes of it.

I love you all.

Love, 
Sister Graff

PS--Pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment