Wednesday, March 13, 2013

DC Week 5!

Well Happy Wednesday!!

I'm going to make this a quick one. This last week has certainly been a roller-coaster with investigators but we're willing to tackle anything or anyone the Lord sends our way! We met with Michael again (recent convert) and he confided in us that he relapsed with smoking several times. Sad. But we are encouraging him to exercise the Atonement now in his life. He is diagnosed with severe bipolar tendencies and so every day used to be up and down. Now it seems that shift is more on an hourly basis, but we try to offer solace in finding the constants in his life such as his Savior Jesus Christ. It's a work in progress. The members are still a little hesitant to help with the missionary work in our area, but we're trying to help them come out of their shells a bit and encouraging them to invite any friends and loved-ones of their to Conference next month.  So far we've had pretty positive responses.

With street contacting, I have found that the Lord likes to place me in situations that test my self control a lot. I think I'm beginning to see a pattern. There have been several experiences where my excitement about a certain gospel topic or principle will get our individual all fired up in negative ways and then comes the Bible bashing which I always hate.  So...Sister Lawrence has been helping me to practice asking "inspired questions" and holding my tongue--which has always been hard for me, especially when talking about things that I love! That is also a work in progress haha, but I will update as I learn.

In other news, I went to the city for the first time on the mission today! We just got back and what an awesome experience. My companion and I got up at 4:30 am to meet with some of the Spanish sisters for "Sunrise Pictures" at the monuments. So neat. We are exhausted but it was SO worth it. The District is so different anywhere else. So much history. And it's impossible to drive 10 feet without seeing some sort of statue or modern art form or Embassy. While waiting in line to get into the National Archives (which was way cool--Little kids, I got to see the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights! Wasn't sure who was studying what right now in school, but there was a group of several dozen kids all your ages on a field trip and it made me think of you!) we saw the President drive by with a train of police vehicles and motorcycles and tinted SUV's, twice. The entire road seemed to shut down for them to race by. Wild. Anyway, there are a lot of "storybook-type" homes and houses with cherry-blossom trees and picket fences, and all kinds of ivy growing up the sides of these century-old brick homes,(the kind that you might see Gipetto living in) that line every corner. But in addition there is such a vibe like I've never felt before. And I don't just mean in the city...I love it.

Got to run! I will share much more later. Thanks for all your sweet letters! I'm getting around to answering them--PROMISE :) This church is absolutely, positively, undoubtedly TRUE.

I love you all. Until next week!

Sister Graff
Moroni 10:3-5. DO IT.

PS--I got to see Mark and Marci and boys on Saturday!!!!! They were so sweet to come visit, and loaded me up with all the necessities. Mark said as he loaded a bag into the car, "These are hardly groceries," which I was very grateful for as I munched on the contents for the last four days. The Graff's know how to roll when it comes to the good stuff in life, that's for sure! ;) Anyway, we had a sweet visit and I was thrilled to see familiar faces.

Pictures:
1. After singing at Night of Music and Inspiration.
2. Sunrise pictures at the Lincoln Memorial.
3. My so-excited-to-be-a-missionary jump :)
4. The man himself.
5. Good morning!
6. Gettysburg address.
7. ...
8. Getting creative.
9. Love her!
10. '91. The year of the ram! Woohoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment