Wednesday, March 20, 2013

DC Week 6!

Hey Everybody!

Just to start, I was skimming emails and read about the crash. Caty, I am so glad you are okay. Scared me half to death when I saw the picture, but I will keep you (and the whole family) in my prayers. When Carly and I had the accident in Idaho, you wouldn't believe the tender mercies we counted that icy night. Our hearts tend to drop in a moments like that, when we begin to see glimpses of eternity, and what truly matters most in our lives. Our Heavenly Father is so aware of all us. He is always mindful of all that happens in this universe, and He has more power to prevent, than a mile's length of metal engine in front of you. (I never thought the day would come that I would actually appreciate "The Boat". May it rest in peace.)
 
Anyway...to shift gears (no pun intended) things are wonderful here. We had transfers today, and I will be staying with Sister Lawrence in White Oak. It really is such a great ward/area. The people here are willing to listen to you.  It was really surprising at first, because I think I had just expected them to shut us down from the start. Not only do they stop to hear you out, but most times, will offer some sort of spiritual contribution to the conversation. It's like taking a breath of fresh air. However I do feel that half an hour south of here as you start to get into the district, individuals shy away from such talk and get too lost in their busy lives. Then just north of here, you get a bunch of retired elderly people who don't think they need religion at all; almost like it's beneath them. It's sad to see. But I feel like this first lransfer has been the perfect mix. It's actually the "dumpier" parts of cities where we seem to find more sucess. People there are much more humble. They acknowledge the need for Jesus Christ in their lives and eagerly come unto Him.
    
If I can leave a closing thought with you, I have learned to really value the asset of time in the mission field. It is precious. It is limited. Kids, listen to Mom and Dad when they tell you to budget your time. The older you get the faster it flies. There is a quote from one of the bretheren: 
    
"Time is never for sale. Time is a commodity that cannot, try as you may, be bought at any store for any price. Yet when time is wisely used, its value is immeasurable.  On any given day, we are all allotted, without cost, the same number of minutes and hours to use. We soon learn, as the familiar hymn carefully teaches, "Time flies on wings of lightening. We cannot call it back." ~Elder Arden of the Seventy.   

I love this work. It is so real and wonderful and rich. And it is His...
    
I have a testimony of the Restoration of Christ's true church through the prophet Joseph Smith. I know we have a living prophet on the earth today. His name is President Thomas S. Monson. And we get to hear him next month! I can't wait. Family, go into General Conference this season with a very particular, personal question in mind...Pay attention to the speakers and their words, and the Spirit. It will get answered. I promise.

I love you all. You are in my prayers every morning and night.

Love,
Sister Graff
The one and only Amy Perkins :) It was wonderful to catch up on life and future/etc...What a treat to see her :) (3/16/13)

No comments:

Post a Comment